By James Chillcott (@MTGCritic)
One of the most common misconceptions about folks involved in MTGFinance is that we are constantly manipulating the market and feeding players misinformation to help fuel achievement of our personal goals.
It recently occurred to us here that though we dole out a good deal of advice, most of you ultimately have very little insight into when we actually put our money where our collective mouths are pointing. As such we’ve decided to run a weekly series simply breaking down what we’ve been buying and selling each week and why. These lists are meant to be both complete and transparent, leaving off only cards we bought without hope of profit, where appropriate. We’ll also try to provide some insight into our thinking behind the specs, and whether we are aiming for a short (<1 month), mid (1-12 month), or long (1 year+) term flip. Here’s what we were up to this week:
Buying Period: April 12 – April 19, 2015
Note: All cards NM unless otherwise noted. All sell prices are net of fees unless noted.
James Chillcott (@MTGCritic)
- 8 boxes of Modern Masters 2 @ $191
- 1x Tasigur, The Golden Fang @ $4.50
- 2x Abrupt Decay @ $11.25/per
- 5x Collected Company (Foil) @ $11/per
- 1x Goblin Rabblemaster (Russian Foil Promo) @ $16
- 5x Dragonlord Atarka @ $18/per ($6 cost)
- 5x Dragonlord Silumgar @ $15/per ($4.25 cost)
- Boseiju, Who Shelters All @ $10.65
- Chromatic Lantern @ $6.15
- 3x Stirring Wildwood @ $3.52/per ($2 cost)
- 3x Simian Spirit Guide @ $2.82/per (pack opened)
- 1x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas @ $16.00 (pack opened)
- 1x Duress (IDW promo) @ $20.99 ($4)
- 2x Watery Grave (Gatecrash) @ $10.73 ($6 cost)
- 2x Steam Vents (Guildpact) @ $18.31 ($8 cost)
- 1x Amulet of Vigor @ $8.23 ($3 cost)
- 1x Ensnaring Bridge (Stronghold) @ $19.63 ($10 cost)
- 1x Xenagos, the Reveler @ $6.91 (pack opened)
- 1x Remand (Jace vs. Vraska) @ $14.91 (set opened)
Most of my purchase activity this week was dedicated to locking down a couple of cases of Modern Masters 2 on pre-order at a very solid price that helps ensure value regardless of the final set list. The Collected Company foil acquisitions are reflective of my belief that a strong Modern deck using the card is inevitable within the next couple of years. As a small set rare, the foils can easily hit $20-30 should the theorem prove out.
On the sell side, I was able to out some of my key specs from Dragons of Tarkir pre-order season for a true triple up on the Dragonlords. Over on PucaTrade I continue to dump cards I expect are either peaking or likely to decline due to imminent reprint, with an eye to trading up into a $500-1000 card within a month or two of frequent trading.
Guo Heng (@guoheng)
- 4 See the Unwritten for 2.04 tickets/per
- 1 See the Unwritten for 2.09 tickets
- 1 Den Protector for $3.30.
- 23x Aggressive Mining @ $.25 each ($5.75)
- 9x Bladewing the Risen (FTV Dragons) @ $5.99 each ($53.91)
- 6x Bladewing the Risen (FTV Dragons, SP) @ $4.99 each ($29.94)
- 1x Dictate of Erebos @ $.40
- 100x Heartless Summoning @ $.25 each
- 5x Ob Nixilis, Unshackled @ $4.99 each
- 19x SP Plunge into Darkness @ $.33 each
- 18x Skill Borrower @ $.25 each
- 40x SP Swan Song @ $.40 each
- 17x Trade Routes (8th Edition) @ $.25 each
- 1x Trade Routes (9th Edition foil) @ $2.99
So there you have it. Now what were you guys buying and selling this week and why?
James Chillcott is the CEO of ShelfLife.net, The Future of Collecting, Senior Partner at Advoca, a designer, adventurer, toy fanatic and an avid Magic player and collector since 1994.
ADVERTISEMENT: Get the Cube Starter Bundle with the 3rd Edition Grimoire Deck Box, the brand new Grimoire Deck Box designed specifically for the red mage in you.