MTG Fast Finance is our weekly podcast covering the flurry of weekly financial activity in the world of Magic: The Gathering. MFF provides a fast, fun and useful sixty minute format. Follow along with our seasoned hosts as they walk you through this week’s big price movements, their picks of the week, metagame analysis and a rotating weekly topic.
Show Notes: Aug 18th, 2016
Segment 1: Top Movers of the Week
Note: Price movements reflect posted NM prices, and may not represent prices players have paid.
Greater Gargadon (Time Spiral)
Gain: +$12.00 (+300%)
Collective Defiance (Eldritch Moon)
Gain: +$3.50 (+233%)
Gain: +$30.00 (+200%)
Conflagrate (Time Spiral)
Gain: +$4.00 (+133%)
Bridge from Below (Future Sight)
Gain: +$10.00 (+100%)
Golgari Grave-Troll (Foil, Ravnica)
Gain: +$37.00 (+98%)
Gain: +$10.00 (+43%)
Segment 2: Cards to Watch
- Selfless Spirit (Eldritch Moon) Confidence Level 7: $8 to $15 (+88%, 0-12+ months)Card may have a future in Modern as a 4-of in one of a couple of decks. Like this pick a lot more closer to $5, but willing to take on a few sets now.
- Wasteland Strangler (Foil, Battle for Zendikar) Confidence Level 6: $2.5 to $10 (+300%, 24+ months) Card keeps showing up in decks despite the banning of Eye of Ugin. Eg: http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD13518S/
- Thought-Knot Seer (Foil, Oath of the Gatewatch) Confidence Level 8: $15 to $30 (+100%, 12+ months) Between Modern and Legacy play this constant 4-of should be able to get above $30 within the next couple of years.
- Rest in Peace, Return to Ravnica, Confidence Level 8: $4 to $10 (+150%, 0-6+ months)
- Council’s Judgement, Conspiracy, Confidence Level 7: $5 to $10 (+100%, 6-12+ months)
Disclosure: Travis and James may own speculative copies of the above cards.
Segment 3: Metagame Week in Review
This past weekend saw three big Standard tournaments: GP Portland and GP Rimni, as well as the SCG Classic in Syracuse. Bant Collected Company continued to be a major force, despite not making as strong a showing at Pro Tour Eldritch Moon. Izzet Thermo-Alchemist finished first at the SCG event.
The SCG Modern Open in Syracuse was won by the latest strain of Dredge deck, featuring Golgari Grave-Troll, Bridge from Below, Greater Gargadon, Prized Alamgam and Conflagrate, all cards on the move.
Segment 4: Topic of the Week
Conspiracy: Take the Crown previews kicked off this week, with a plethora of worthy reprints including Serum Visions, Inquisition of Kozilek, Burning Wish, Phyrexian Arena, Wild Pair and Exotic Orchard. The guys theorized that IoK and Serum Visions would be most likely to rebound from a likely price decline a bit down the road. Burgeoning foils are likely to be lovely and should see some increase in demand.
Of the new cards, Sanctum Prelate, Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast , Arcane Savant and Leovold, Emissary of Trest have caused the most buzz so far.