MTG Fast Finance is our weekly podcast covering the flurry of weekly financial activity in the world of Magic: The Gathering. MFF provides a fast, fun and useful sixty minute format. Follow along with our seasoned hosts as they walk you through this week’s big price movements, their picks of the week, metagame analysis and a rotating weekly topic.
Show Notes: Sep 23rd, 2016
Segment 1: Top Movers of the Week
Note: Price movements reflect posted NM prices, and may not represent prices players have paid.
Seeds of Innocence (Mirage)
Gain: +$1.95 (+355%)
Fleetwheel Cruiser (Kaladesh)
Gain: +$1.25 (+167%)
Smuggler’s Copter (Kaladesh)
Gain: +$4.00 (+133%)
Grafdiffer’s Cage (DKA, Foil)
Gain: +$30.00 (+85%)
Platinum Emperion (SOM)
Gain: +$6.00 (+75%)
Panharmonicon (Kaladesh, Foil)
Gain: +$8.00 (+72%)
Obstinate Baloth (M11, Foil)
Gain: +$15.00 (+60%)
Brushland (Fifth Edition)
Gain: +$8.00 (+62%)
Segment 2: Cards to Watch
- Nahiri’s Wrath (Eldritch Moon) Confidence Level 6: $2 to $6 (+200%, 0-12+ months) Outside chance that this is the red sweeper folks will need this fall. Potential for high damage output and ability to handle PWs, but weak against vehicles so meta shake out will dictate success here.
- Retreat to Corelhelm (BFZ, Foil) Confidence Level 8: $2 to $8 (+300%, 6-12+ months) Knight/Corelhelm deck continues to put up Top 8s, and this foil uncommon will end up underpriced vs. future demand. Open ended synergy with future combos helps here.
- Selfless Spirit (Foil, Eldritch Moon) Confidence Level 7: $8 to $15 (+88%, 6-12+ months) Spirit decks in Modern are a possibility, but this card is useful in aggressive and tempo decks across Modern with or without it’s tribal compatriots.
- Dubious Challenge (Kaladesh) Confidence Level 5: $.25 to $5 (+1900%, 24+ months) This card has the potential to be broken one day. Emrakul + Flickerwisp is a starting point, and I see this turning into a janky deck one day down the road. Low risk here, with high upside in 3-5 years. Will be buying 200 copies or so.
- Eldritch Evolution, (Eldritch Moon), Confidence Level 6: $4 to $8 (+100%, 0-12+ months) Card has potential in the new Standard and a future home in Modern. Not much more of this set going to be opened due to Conspiracy 2 and Kaladesh following so close on it’s heels.
- Mind’s Dilation, (Eldritch Moon), Confidence Level 8: $1 to $5 (+400%, 12+ months) Great long term mythic hold for EDH.
- Might of Old Krosa, (Time Spiral), Confidence Level 7: $9 to $2 (-80%%, 12+ months) If Infect ever goes off the radar or gets hampered by bannings, this card goes to bulk almost instantly. A $10 uncommon that can be reprinted easily isn’t something you want to be holding onto.
- Noble Hierarch, (MM15), Confidence Level 9: $65 to $30 (+400%, 12+ months) Recently reprinted and still climbing, this card is needed by multiple modern decks as a 4-of, but it could easily be reprinted again in MM17 next summer. Trading out in the $65-$80 range is unlikely to be a bad move regardless as the card has to be near it’s likely peak.
Disclosure: Travis and James may own speculative copies of the above cards.
Segment 3: Metagame Week in Review
This week Travis and James went over SCG Orlando, a 600+ person Modern tournament.
The Top 8 included a Reanimator deck using 2x Collective Brutality, a 5th place Knight/Corelhelm deck, 6th place Eldrazi Aggro and a Valakut deck with three copies of Anger of the Gods between the main and the board.
Segment 4: Topic of the Week
The guys talked over the likely changes to the B&R list, placing the odds of no changes at 50/50. Indeed, there were no changes, so moving on.MTGPrice helps keep you at the top of your game with our daily card price index, fast movers lists, weekly articles by the best MTGFinance minds in the business, the MTGFastFinance podcast co-hosted by James Chillcott & Travis Allen, as well as the Pro Trader Discord channels, where all the action goes down. Find out more.