MTG Fast Finance is a weekly podcast that tries to break down the flurry of financial activity in the world of Magic: The Gathering into a fast, fun and useful thirty minute format. Follow along with our seasoned hosts as they walk you through this week’s big price movements, their picks of the week, metagame analysis and a rotating weekly topic.
Show Notes: Feb 26th
Segment 1: Top Movers of the Week
One With Nothing (Saviors of Kamigawa)
Gain: +$2.00 (+100%)
Null Rod (Weatherlight)
Gain: +$25.00 (+166%)
Adarkar Wastes (All)
Gain: +$10.50 (+300%)
Gain: +$12.00 (+200%)
Gain: +$16.00 (+400%)
Thorn of Amethyst (Lorwyn)
Gain: +$12.00 (+400%)
Scorched Ruins (Weatherlight)
Gain: +$18.00 (+566%)
Magmatic Force (Commander)
Gain: +$8.50 (+566%)
Gain: +$37.00 (+1233%)
Segment 2: Cards to Watch
- Phyrexian Dreadnought, Mirage, Confidence Level 6: $15 to $30+ (+100%, 0-6 months)
- Phyrexian Tower, Urza’s Saga, Confidence Level 7: $25 to $40+ (+60%, 0-6 months)
- Avaricious Dragon, Magic Origins, Confidence Level 4: $2 to $5+ (150%, 0-3 months)
- Endbringer (foil), Oath of the Gatewatch, Confidence Level 7: $3 to $8+ (166%, 0-6 months)
- Kozilek, the Great Distortion, Oath of the Gatewatch, Confidence Level 9: $7 to $15 (+115%, 0-12+ months)
- Chandra, Flamecaller, Oath of the Gatewatch, Confidence Level 5: $10 to $20 (+100%, 0-3+ months)
- Goblin Dark-Dwellers, Oath of the Gatewatch, Confidence Level 6: $2 to $5 (+233%, 0-6+ months)
Disclosure: Travis and James may own speculative copies of the above cards.
Segment 3: Metagame Week in Review
The SCG Modern Open in St. Louis this past weekend was dominated with Eldrazi decks once again, constituting not just half the top 8, but half the top 32 as well. As the menaces of the blind eternities continue to ravage constructed Magic, can we as players see a light at the end of the tunnel?
Segment 4: Topic of the Week – Should Wizards of the Coast test Modern?
Given the state of Modern, should Wizards make an effort to test new sets for the format in order to prevent these warped metagames? The guys also touch briefly on Conspiracy 2 and what it means for Magic’s financial health.
James Chillcott is the CEO of ShelfLife.net, The Future of Collecting, Senior Partner at Advoca, a designer, adventurer, toy fanatic and an avid Magic player and collector since 1994.MTGPrice helps keep you at the top of your game with our daily card price index, fast movers lists, weekly articles by the best MTGFinance minds in the business, the MTGFastFinance podcast co-hosted by James Chillcott & Travis Allen, as well as the Pro Trader Discord channels, where all the action goes down. Find out more.